I know, I know. Gasp! Danny throwing away fantasy books? Well, it is happening, even as I type. I’m finally opening my boxes of books shipped from Iowa, and I am tossing some books I have carted with me for a long time, some since college!
Why? Well, I don’t have any time to read anymore, and I suspect I won’t have much until Aidan turns into a teenager (that’s when he’ll start actively avoiding me, right?). Which means I’ll have even less time to re-read anything I already own. So I am tossing those books which I might once have thought I’d re-read at some point.
Mostly I’m keeping the good stuff, and the sentimental stuff.
On the heap:
- Everything by Robert Jordan. What a hack.
- All of Raymond Feist’s books after the first three.
- Everything I own of Katherine Kurtz, and Katherine Kerr, whose books I couldn’t tell apart in my memory, anyway.
- All books by Janny Wurts. Though I enjoyed them, I can’t remember anything about them.
- I’ve also decided to take a principled stand and junk anything I own by Orson Scott Card. He’s a fascist, a homophobe, and a good writer, but one out of three is not enough for me.
- All 3,180 pages of Tad Williams’ Otherland series.
- Gregory Keyes’ Age of Unreason series, though I’m keeping his first two-book series, The Waterborn and The Blackgod.
- Other standouts on the heap include some of Brin’s more self-serving works, Star Wars fluff books, Zelazny’s books, and The Mists of Avalon which Tiffany saved. Boy, that was another bad TV adaptation.